Saturday, December 16, 2006

My Brother the Lawyer


People are taken aback to know that my younger brother is also a lawyer. It's double trouble- no one dares mess around with a lawyer who has a lawyer for a brother. This powerful combination was foreseen by our Papa, the master strategist himself. He wants his kids to pursue only two professions - either a lawyer or medical doctor (well, actually one if he consider "juris doctor" a specie of "doctor").

My brother Jun has always been extraordinary. Way back in nursery he has already excelled and often out-gunned his older brother in childhood and teenage competitions. I did not care because he is my brother. What he has achieved I considered my own. Anyway, he is always the little "Taktak" who followed my tail whenever I go. He is the kid brother I used to protect against Renfredo and Steven during our Assumption days. And I always guard his secrets those we have started trading as kids.

Jun and I only went separate ways after graduation from law school. He chose to stay in Iloilo and close to his girlfriend at that time (now his wife Joy). I stayed in Manila after having been lured into public interest law by Atty. Jose Sison. But we always keep in touch. We still argue, laugh, argue, joke, argue, tease, confide and argue over all modes of communication. One of my best kept secrets now unfolded is the fact that Jun has been my best legal adviser and source of those legal forms for which I charge my clients so dearly.

One thing peculiar about Jun aside from his ignorance on latest gadgets (hehehe) is his innate character which shuns accolades and limelights. He is a good lawyer no doubt but a few of his astonishing exploits have been unwritten. I am lucky to have known a few of his bright moments. 

One of this is his story about a certain lady named Kat Gonzales. One day, Jun was just sitting inside his freezing law office when he received an anonymous call on his cellphone. Hoping it to be a prospective client (!) he did not hesitate to answer the call. A lady who introduced herself as "Kat" was on the other one. Surely Jun must have not said the convenient "Wrong number" as the lady has a very nice kolehiyala voice and maybe an unbroken English to boot. Actually, Jun thought it was his client's daughter whom he expected to call him. Sensing that it was not his client's daughter, Jun tried to end the call politely. But then "Kat" pleaded with him, telling him about her predicament being lost in a middle of a highway somewhere in Bukidnon. Her car conked out on the way to Davao and tried to dial a friend's number but alas reached Jun's number instead. Kat was running low on cellphone prepaid credits and has spent her last load, she could not call her friends anymore. So Jun had to call her again and tried to help. Kat went on to introduce herself as a vacationing student and part time model! (Now my bro's all pumped up hehehe). She asked my brother if he can contact her father whom she claims to be a General in the Philippine Military. True indeed when Jun called up the General's number he seemed to have stirred an hornet's nest. The General has cut short his meeting in Malacanang and scrambled his aides to rescue his darling daughter. When Jun called Kat to relay the good news, he sensed concern in the lady's voice. Kat reported that a group of people is approaching her car. So Jun advised her to lock herself in and keep the communication line open. Soon, Kat was telling him one of those who came - a lady who has introduced herself as a Barangay Captain. Jun was not convinced and demanded that he speak to the barangay captain. In our local dialect (Hiligaynon which was spoken sparingly in Bukidnon) Jun was able to confirm that indeed the lady was a bonafide Barangay Captain and was contacted by the Army Headquarters about a stranded lady along the national highway. The Barangay Captain did not let go of their conversation without a teasingly comment "Attorney, ka tahum man ini sang imo miga! (Attorney, your girl friend is really beautiful). I'm sure my brother has let go an equally naughty smile. Because of Jun's help, Ms. Model was rescued and quickly spared from harm's way and brought into a nearby army camp. Kat kept on thanking him and showered him with a lots of compliments (even telling Jun that he is her "soul mate" ehem..ehem).  But then I know that was never a big deal to my brother. It is but normal for him to extend assistance even to strangers in need. He never even tried contacting Kat whom has promised to return the favor once they meet in person. Jun never even thought of the valuable connections he could profit from General Gonzales if he choses to contact him. I think he never even got the chance to contact Kat before the latter left for the US just for the heck of it.

Now, that's Jun my brother the lawyer. A real poster boy for the Jesuit creed "Be a Man for Others."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger kapengbarako said...

attorney, i dont think your story is accurate...i was told by my classmates that sir had two girlfriends at one time (one was a lawyer), before he got married to one of them (not the lawyer)... and that was when sir was a new lawyer... and now with that Kat incident..wow! chickboy si sir :)

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home